In Christ’s incarnation, human nature is lifted up into communion with the divine life. Only God can save and that which is united to God is saved thus to be truly human is to be like Christ and in Christ because Christ being fully divine fully assumed our humanity in order to redeem and rescue it.
Today, I’m gonna try to be more human. I’ll fail and move more towards that which isn’t human, but grace sustains the very soul within me, my very being. It sustains all of creation and the universe.
Forgiveness and grace permeates our very existence. Our very breath is an act of God’s grace.
So come and let us move closer to being human. Let us:
- Love God all our heart, mind, soul and strength. And love ourselves and love our neighbors.
- Forgive those who’ve done us wrong.
- Love our enemies.
- Practice Eucharistic gratitude.
- Feed the hungry.
- Clothe the naked.
- Visit the sick and imprisoned.
- Break the chains of oppression.
- Pray for oppressors and their salvation.
- Befriend the friendless.
- Listen to the lonely.
- Mend the broken-hearted.
- Reconcile with each other.
- Help the poor.
- Care for the addicted.
- Bring liberation.
- Be a light in the dark.
- Practice kindness.
- Humble ourselves.
- Become more meek.
- Make peace.
- Oppose war, death penalties, and violence.
- Practice non-violence.
- Become pure in heart.
- Strive to do good.
- Practice an attitude of optimism.
- Be hopeful.
- Work out our ever-continuing salvation.
- Say our prayers.
- Confess our sins.
- Die to ourselves by crucifying ourselves with Christ.
- Pray for our leaders.
- Repent of our bad thinking and actions.
- Seek Christ in all we say and do.
- Be mindful.
- Live minimally.
- Share our wealth.
- Welcome the stranger.
- Care for the sick.
- Love justice.
- Be merciful.
- Dare Greatly.
- Rise strong.
- Be courageous.
- Stand up for the weak.
- Defend the helpless.
- Speak truth to power.
All of these, and many more, are ways in which we can become more human and thus become more like Christ. And if we fail, and we will, let us fall humbly at the foot of the Cross the source of our forgiveness and vehicle for our re-creation into being truly human again. May Christ have mercy upon us as we continue cooperating with His saving us. To be saved is to become more human as Christ is human.
Blessings be upon all today, my friends. Be more human!